TEXT: Romans 13:8, Matthew 22:40, 1 John 4:12
Another way to say 1 John 4:12 is this; “…no one has seen God, ever. But He can be seen where there is love. Love makes God real. Love is tangible.”
We will be considering how tangible love is under two sub-heads:
- How To Demonstrate/Show Love
- Qualities Of Love (1 Corinthians 13:1-10)
Now let’s see How To Demonstrate/Show Love
- Give what you have (Acts 3:1-11, Luke 22:35). It doesn’t have to be money. You can give your smile, care, time, talent, ideas etc to show your love.
- Acts of kindness (Hebrews 13:2). One act of kindness may teach more about the love of God than many sermons. Rebekah’s acts of kindness to a stranger and his camels didn’t only give her a husband, but a home and a place in history (Genesis 24:17-19). Abraham’s feeding of three strangers brought him his son (Genesis 18:1-15). Joseph’s act of kindness, of dream interpretation in the prison secured his throne (Genesis 40). Jacob got his wives through his act of kindness (Genesis 29:1-13).
- Acts of intercession (Genesis 18:16-33). “Prayer is the first act of love”, someone says. You can’t hate the one you pray for.
- Don’t speak ill of people, maintain a good heart for people (Hebrews 12:14, James 4:11-12, Ephesians 4:31, Proverbs 17:9).
- Forgive (Matthew 6:12-15, Luke 17:3-4, Colosians 3:13). We should always let go of the wrongs of others.
- Don’t repay evil for evil (Genesis 45:3-8). Errors will always come but don’t repay with evil.
- Appreciate people. Don’t be envious of others.
- Be patient with people (Proverbs 14:29, 16:32(NIV), Ephesians 4:2). We don’t learn at the same pace, we must be patient with people.
Qualities Of Love
- Love never gives up.
- Love cares more for others than for self.
- Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
- Love doesn’t strut i.e walk with a stiff, erect, and apparently arrogant or conceited gait.
- Love doesn’t have a swelled head.
- It doesn’t force itself on others neither is it always “me” first.
- Love does not fly off the handle or lose its temper suddenly and unexpectedly.
- Love doesn’t keep score of the sins of others nor does it revel when others grovel.
- Love takes pleasure in the flowering of truth.
- Love puts up with anything.
- Love trusts God always.
- It always looks for the best and never looks back but keeps going to the end.
- Love never dies.
We are constrained by the Love of God to do good and be the best to others in our generation. With love we can do more than move mountains. You don’t need money to show love, you can show love by your actions, your words and so many other life impacting ways.
May God help us to demonstrate love in our own little ways.