So you have set your BHAG, (big hairy audacious goal) and have cascaded it into short term goals or achievables. Then what?
Rocks are key priorities/ activities that must happen or occur before you achieve your desired outcome. They are the 3-5 important things you must accomplish in the next 90 days.
To your employees, they are the clear priorities that will govern where each employee puts his /her primary effort every day.
For example, with someone starting a business, the things to be done would be to:
- decide what your business will do
- register the business with CAC
For an existing business who wants to secure a contract with a multinational, one of your Rocks would be to get on the multinational’s vendor list.
Whatever you set must be achievable in 90 days. How?
- Let your team list everything they want to accomplish in the next 90 days.
- Narrow down the list to a few true priorities for the entire company.
- Assign due dates
- Assign ownership (responsible leaders) to each company Rock.
- Let team leaders set the level of their own Rocks.
- Create a Rock sheet to refer to in weekly progress reviews.
- Share (communicate) the Rocks with the entire organization.
- Have each department and each employee establish an individual set of Rocks to support quarterly company Rocks.
When you do these, you set your business on the course of success in the market place.
Now that you have learnt these basics, what are YOUR business Rocks and how far have you gone with them? Share with us in the comments section.
Enjoy a great #MondayMarket and the rest of the week!